By Stan Albert
Here’s why, in my opinion, women are better suited for real estate than we guys are.
When the hit song I am Woman was made famous by Helen Reddy, it was at a time when women started taking larger roles in all phases of the business world. Fast forward to today, and in our particular business we find the distaff side of our field has come to the fore. Most of the top producers and top managers and broker/owners are women.
We all know that developing and building a successful career in real estate is a never-ending process. I’ve been an observer of human traits and personalities for nearly 50 years.
Here’s what I know about why women are better at our business:
- They’re better organizers. Not only better, they excel! Think about it. Most women in our industry have to be excellent at multi-tasking, taking on the roles of mother, wife, nurse, transportation arranger, disciplinarian, cook, shopper and scheduler. They make sure the family is fed, dressed for school, have a lunch and are ready to catch the bus for school, as well as making sure hubby has his morning cup of Java. Then comes tidying up the kitchen and planning what to serve for dinner, and all before they even begin to think about getting ready for their own day.
- Once the above is accomplished, they plan their day as a real estate professional, checking/making appointments and placing some early morning calls.
- They arrive at the office fully prepared. After checking their calls and returning those that require quick responses, they set out to inspect properties.
- When showing properties, they seem to have a better way of illustrating the features to the prospects; a more intrinsic method of showcasing the home’s best features.
- They are more efficient in handing in the paper work, and in a timely manner.
- They are social activists, event planners and conflict resolution experts and seem better at handling irate/upset clients.
- They attend, on a pro rata basis, more training sessions than we guys do.
- They give freely of their time and expertise to help others just starting out in the business, offering suggestions. They are social, generous and thoughtful.
- They excel in doing open houses by being better prepared.
- And last but not least, they will take a leadership role in charitable causes and usually raise more funds.
So I tip my hat to the professional women who bring so much to our industry.
Now, having raised the ire of the male readers of this article, my opinion is just that, my opinion. It doesn’t mean that you have to be a female agent to attain the foregoing attributes, so, don’t be sending me hate mail. It’s just this old guy’s opinion and that’s all.
I wish you all a great summer and fall campaign and the best of everything. I encourage all of you to ramp up your activities for the rest of 2015.
Got a topic you’d like to see me weigh in on? Contact me at the email below.