By Maya Bailey
A client told me the other day that she hates “asking for the business.”
In fact on a deeper look, she confided in me that she doesn’t feel like she deserves to ask for the business. The more we talked, the more I realized that she was approaching the situation as a “taker”, not as a “giver”.
We discussed how every situation needs to be a win/win. From that paradigm, you can reframe the whole notion of asking for the business.
When you change your perception from asking to giving, you receive immediate benefits, such as:
- There’s no such thing as asking for the business; there is only offering your services.
- What you are looking for is a match – someone who needs your services.
- There is no such thing as rejection; it’s either someone you would work well with or not.
- You can enter every conversation, as the giver who has expertise to offer.
- In addition, you can practice some empowered beliefs before getting on the phone, such as:
- I have a valuable service to offer and people are happy to hear from me.
- I attract clients who are fun, ready, willing and able to do business.
- As I radiate a positive mindset, business comes to me easily and effortlessly.
Always think of yourself as the giver, because you are the one with the expertise. You are the one with something to offer.
Approach every phone call with the attitude that you want to be of service and you’re willing to let people know what you do. Whether they accept your service is not your concern.
Inform people of how you can help them and focus on the service you provide, not the money. You need never sell yourself and you never need to ask. All you need to do in every moment is just do your best. Just do a good job of presenting who you are and what you are offering. Be yourself and be honest. People want to work with someone who they feel understands their needs. Listening and responding to those needs is what will bring in the business.
The client I mentioned?
When she got the hang of it, picking up the phone became a breeze and she’s on her way to doubling her income.
Keep it easy, keep it light and always go for a win/win.