Here is my list of the eight core strategies that will make this your best year ever.
1. Focus on “getting stuff done”. Everything you do should have an outcome attached to it. Only attend a training, coaching, mentoring or business development event if you are willing to commit to implementation right away. Learning for knowing is entertainment; learning for doing is the only reason for attending any event.
2. Focus your time on “Realtor” time and not on “Monkey” time. If you want to see how you are doing on this, start writing down what you are doing every 15 minutes. You will find that most of our time is spent “monkeying around” instead of direct interactions with our clients. Ninety per cent of work time should be spent in Realtor time, or your top 20 per cent on meeting buyers and sellers, showing homes, presenting offers and getting contracts signed.
3. Install great models and systems in your business so that every client has a great world-class experience – every time. Models and systems give you stability, predictability, freedom and leverage and ensure that you give everyone the same unique amazing service.
4. Lead generation is the key, but improving your lead conversion skills is the real “gold”. Once you master lead conversion by installing proven systems and models into your business, and knowing what to say and when to say it, your production will soar.
5. Make sure that every new listing you take generates at least four extra pieces of business for you. See my story, Turn one listing into 4 more transactions for more information.
6. Orchestrate more referrals from your sphere of influence. Referrals are entirely predictable when you set a system. If you think referrals are random, you do not have the right system.
7. A career in real estate is simple, not easy. We work in an industry that is so simple to understand, yet people have a hard time trying to make it a prosperous and predictable career. The more people you meet, the more contacts you create, the more business you will receive….and then simply rinse, lather and repeat! Every agent or real estate instructor is guaranteed to have an opinion of how to be successful in real estate. At the end of the day it boils down to the same thing. Lead generate, provide a world-class experience by installing proven systems into your business, be a nice person, treat every client you meet with the utmost respect until they self-eliminate themselves through their own actions (or your lack of skill and mastery), and build a community around yourself that constantly adds value to your clients before, during and after the transaction.
8. Seek coaching and accountability because you don’t know what you don’t know. All great achievers find people to encourage them on your journey. Most of the top agents I know have multiple coaches and understand that nobody succeeds alone.
Glenn McQueenie is the operating principal of Keller Williams Referred Realty and broker of record of Keller Williams Referred Urban Realty in Toronto. His first office was launched in 2004 and has now grown to over 230 agents in two offices. His passion is teaching, coaching and mentoring agents to help them get more referrals from their sphere of influence, converting more leads and getting additional transactions from every listing you take. Email [email protected]; Phone 416-445-8855; Blog at www.heyglenn.com.